Saturday 24 August 2013

Vogon Buns

I ran a charity cake stall with some friends last weekend, I thought we had just about every kind of cake until I was asked "Do you have anything suitable for Vegans?" I had nut free & gluten free... No was the short answer, everything had either butter, egg or yoghurt in, sorry Mrs Vegan Lady!

It stuck in my mind and when I saw an egg-less sponge recipe I thought I'd experiment and see if I could omit the butter too and still make something edible, so glad I did these are gorgeous! It's the butterscotch syrup that makes these so divine (and its suitable for vegans, I did check)

Oh and the name? Well, the word Vegan always make me think of the Vogons from Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, (I don't know why, but I do love a bit of Sci-Fi) after expressing this to The Good Dr he quickly started calling these Vogon Buns, usually preceded by "Have you got any more of those".

For 10 mini loaves

Ingredients:
80g Caster sugar
80g Sunflower oil (this was 8 of my tablespoons)
140g Lyle's Butterscotch Syrup
200g Self raising flour
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp Baking powder
170ml boiling water

Method:
Preheat the oven to fan 160c. Line non stick tins with baking parchment (don't butter...)


Mix the sugar, oil and syrup in a large bowl, then add the flour, baking powder and bicarb and mix again, finally gradually mix in the boiling water to get a fragrant loose batter.


Divide between the tins and bake for 16mins or until cooked, which is when they bounce back when gently poked with a finger or skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes then place on a cooling rack to cool completely, or to cool just enough so you don't burn your mouth...


Vegan cakes coming out of the ovenVegan cakes cooling

Voila, gorgeous vegan cakes, enjoy! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment